Friday, September 18, 2009

Juicing with Cucumbers

Cucumbers are great for juicing. They are very watery and refreshing. They actually retain a lot of water, and since they have a weaker (and bland) taste, they make good "fillers" in juicer recipes. Some other vegetable juice is very concentrated and can give you stomach aches. Or, some vegetables won't give much juice at all. The juice of cucumbers is just like adding water to either dilute concentrated juice, or to add some volume when there is very little juice in the first place.

I don't really like cucumbers. I may eat them if they're on salad sometimes. I won't ever go eat them raw, even with dips. However, I do use cucumber juicer recipes. It is pretty easy to hide the flavor of them. The original flavor is pretty subtle. If you add some more tasteful fruits and vegetables, you will barely notice that there are cucumbers in it in the first place. It usually doesn't take much.

I use them a lot with apples. Apples also have a significant amount of juice as well, but the amount of sweetness (or tartness) in them can easily hide the cucumber taste. I usually also throw in spinach leaves as well, since spinach juice is very concentrated, and if you only put in a little, it will be as if you didn't add any at all. Here is what I put in my juicer for this juicer recipe:

  • 2 apples (I tend to use mcintosh apples)
  • a cucumber
  • spinach leaves

Be sure to put the spinach first if you choose to use some. The "harder" produce is easier to push through the juicer, and will make sure that everything is forced through the juicer correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment